Topic-icon den2k's characters

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #2370 by Kelemelan
Now, Dragonlance includes the Blood Sea of Istar, I'm pretty sure such a sea wizard would cast red spells, but that's just me.

Every GM can decide for himself/herself. :)
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Kelemelan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• den2k
  • den2k's Avatar Topic Author
  • Programmer and avid roleplayer.
More
1 year 6 months ago #2371 by den2k
Well, Red and Yellow are perfectly fine colors for a Sea Wizard - ever saw the sun setting or rising upon the sea? The reddest red, and yellow, orange and purple as pure as you'll rarely see. But I think that his spells should look "wavy" or watery, like droplets of flame for example, with strange reflection like fire over a river.

More
1 year 6 months ago #2372 by kalnaren
If I'm visually depicting magic with visible effects I tend to stick to elemental colours that have at least some resemblance to the type of magic being used.

In my fiction though (the stuff I'm using to create my board game and characters here) very little magic actually has visible casting effects.

IIRC I've posted 4 or 5 characters with magical abilities, and Penelope is the only one with any "Spell effects". That's more related to the type of magic she uses and her personality.

More
1 year 6 months ago #2373 by Kelemelan
That brings us back to "what's magic by the way ?" ;) :P (since you mention "types" of magic)

Since magic is, by definition, something that is only limited by the rules of the game (and, well, if the game is, say Marvel Universe, these limits are going to be pretty far fetched ;) ), I like to let every GM be the ruler of his own setting on this point, for obvious reasons. :P

More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #2374 by kalnaren
Naturally. In my game I don't even get into that -it's abstracted out at far too high a level.

In my fiction (which was developed for stories, not games) I've created a magic framework to operate from that keeps magic use following consistent behavior, and more importantly, keeps behavior of characters using it consistent. Also prevents using it as a cheap plot device (usually a deus ex machina, akin to amazing pieces of technology seen only once in a Star Trek episode that never again makes an appearance).

As long as the reader feels the magic makes sense in the world you've created and the context it's used in it doesn't really matter what it is.

As an aside, interestingly enough, I've had a desire to run a Pathfinder or D&D E6 campaign because the magic in those settings gets so ridiculously over the top even by level 9. Once you hit 6th and 7th level spells it doesn't even make sense in the world anymore (or really, even past 3rd). But that's another conversation all together :)
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by kalnaren.

More
1 year 6 months ago #2375 by Kelemelan
For the record, I don't support games (that is games or publishers) who loose plot consistency just because they are games, so what you do for your stories, I most probably do for my games. :)

Indeed, this is another story altogether.

Copyright 2013-2017 Overhead Games | Contact: support@epicgenerator.net | Privacy Policy | EULA