Topic-icon kalnaren's characters

1 year 1 week ago #3327 by Fasoldgames
Fasoldgames replied the topic: kalnaren's characters
It seems like an interesting project, so best of luck to you!

Looking at your project, I think it could also be made well as a computer game, in the RPG Maker engine, which I am currently using.
Anyway, I have some experience with the engine now, and if I could help with anything in the future, I would be glad to :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #3328 by kalnaren
kalnaren replied the topic: kalnaren's characters
It could work Ok-ish as a computer game. My style of writing is generally very dialogue-driven though, but I've thought of doing some type of computer game adaption just for fun.

I've worked with RPG Maker but I don't really like it. I can't stand the art style, and even with assets like the High Fantasy pack, it's really designed to do JRPG-style of games, which I'm also not a fan of. Just personal preference. Though if I'm being honest I haven't spent much time with the new battle scripts or anything.

I'm most familiar with Gamemaker Studio (I've actually been using GM for over 10 years), but it also has it's issues for doing an RPG-like game (it's more than capable of it.. the issue is I don't have the patience to write my own backend system required to support that type of gameplay).

I was thinking of giving UE4 a shot, mostly because it doesn't require coding. I have nothing against programming (GM above actually uses it's own internal language based on Delphi), it's more I just don't have the time anymore to dedicate to learning a new programming language as a hobby project. Sometimes I miss being a college student lol (no, not really.... :P ).

Of course, I have zero artistic talent whatsoever, so that always gives me an asset problem, especially with 3D where most free assets are quite frankly terrible or in need of work (and I have no patience for Blender -that's the 2nd most obtuse program I've ever used in my life), or designed for commercial use and are thus very expensive ($70+ CAD per asset.. yikes).

I'd love to do more computer game work, the problem is unless you're willing to do everything yourself it's really out of reach of a hobbyist. It's one huge disadvantage of games now being of such high graphical quality.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 week ago by kalnaren.

More
1 year 1 week ago #3329 by LBandy
LBandy replied the topic: kalnaren's characters
Just my two cents, but I woldn't say you will be better off using UE4 instead of GM. The blueprint system in Unreal is very convenient, yes, but you will face a lot of lower level issues compared to an easy to pickup tool like GameMaker. As for 2D games I'm generally against using UE. You can get the PlayMaker plugin for Unity though, which will prove a visual scripting interface similar to blueprints, but has a much wider range of free assets available, as well as better support for 2D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kalnaren

More
1 year 1 week ago #3330 by Fasoldgames
Fasoldgames replied the topic: kalnaren's characters
I don't really like the anime art style of RPG maker either, but it can all be swapped out. In my game, I've taken out all the 'chibi' style characters and replaced them, so you don't really have to go with the anime style if you don't want to.

I kind of have to disagree with the idea that games require AAA graphic quality nowadays. Plenty of indie games use pixel art, or have a game concept in which the graphics are not that important.

And of course, we have Epic Character Generator! In my game, 90% of all enemies and NPC's are made with epic generator, and I am quite happy with the result.

Still, a computer game is quite a bit of work indeed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kalnaren

More
1 year 6 days ago - 1 year 6 days ago #3331 by kalnaren

LBandy wrote: Just my two cents, but I woldn't say you will be better off using UE4 instead of GM. The blueprint system in Unreal is very convenient, yes, but you will face a lot of lower level issues compared to an easy to pickup tool like GameMaker. As for 2D games I'm generally against using UE. You can get the PlayMaker plugin for Unity though, which will prove a visual scripting interface similar to blueprints, but has a much wider range of free assets available, as well as better support for 2D.

For the most part I don't mind GM for 2D. I'm very comfortable with GML and so far there hasn't been too much I haven't been able to accomplish with it (though I gave up on my last attempt of an isometric RTS, but that was because of art asset issues more than anything :( ).

I took a quick look at UE and Unity, and I think I'd encounter the same issue with them -lack of diverse 3D art assets.

Fasoldgames wrote: I don't really like the anime art style of RPG maker either, but it can all be swapped out. In my game, I've taken out all the 'chibi' style characters and replaced them, so you don't really have to go with the anime style if you don't want to.

I have almost all of the High Fantasy resource packs. I really like that art style but I've never been able to get them working in the game the way I want. It seems an astounding amount of effort required to get them to work properly (outside of simply creating the map and then a parallex image in an external graphics program, which IMO partially defeats the purpose of RPG Maker anyway).

Really annoys me because I'd love to create something with those packs.

I kind of have to disagree with the idea that games require AAA graphic quality nowadays. Plenty of indie games use pixel art, or have a game concept in which the graphics are not that important.

Never said anything about AAA quality graphics :P

Pixel art is a bit misleading though.. it's still very difficult to create a unified aesthetic with pixel art, and even then you still need UI and other graphics.. doesn't really solve anything lol.

Specifically though I was referring to using low poly 3D models. They're fine for an RTS, but unless your entire game is designed around low poly stuff, they just don't work well in modern engines. Again, I'm not an artist. I can use Sketchup for 3D modelling, that's about it (it's a CAD program though, like CC3, which is why I can use it. I just don't get 3D modelling software.. it just doesn't click with me).

And of course, we have Epic Character Generator! In my game, 90% of all enemies and NPC's are made with epic generator, and I am quite happy with the result.

Yea, it's great unless you need something animated. Great for boardgame or static stuff though.

Still, a computer game is quite a bit of work indeed!

It can be. I enjoy the problem solving that comes with coding and figuring out solutions to problems. I don't enjoy using MS Paint stick figures to represent my characters lol.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 days ago by kalnaren.

More
7 months 2 weeks ago #3506 by kalnaren
Nothing specific, just haven't touched Epic in a while so I did up another character for fun.

Copyright 2013-2017 Overhead Games | Contact: support@epicgenerator.net | Privacy Policy | EULA