Topic-icon Pose Choice?

More
1 week 2 days ago #3647 by JFox
Hello all, I'm really enjoying the portrait generator, though I couldn't help but notice that all the characters are facing the camera head-on. I'm curious as to the reasons behind this; like was it a conscious decision?
Aesthetically speaking, IMHO a slight angle for the entire body (or at least the face) looks nicer.(Especially if the character isn't staring me in the eye all the time :D)
On the other hand, sometimes the straight-on look works really well, and it probably offers more options for different types of usage.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to criticize or anything, it just piqued my interest. I'm no artist, and understand that trying to make something this massive with interchangeable pieces that actually fit together is tough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 days 18 hours ago #3649 by LBandy
Hi there,

Sorry for the late reply.

We found that this body pose can be used the most universally along other choices. Since we try to give as mush freedom as possible to our users we've opted to go with this one.

I hope this helps, feel free to post other questions or suggestions here though. :)

More
3 days 12 hours ago #3650 by JFox
Yep! I had intended to follow up my question with a suggestion, but forgot to, so here goes.

I had given a little bit of thought as to how an adjustable pose would be possible, but I don't know how well it would work in practicality. Maybe some clothes could replace the torso entirely? For example; with a shirt that didn't cover the entire chest, the shirt could have a skin texture covering the base body.
If it were possible to lay down a field of transparency that makes all the layers below it transparent as well, that would solve the upper layers not completely covering the lower layers.
Alternatively (or in addition), the head could be replaceable.

Both of these ideas (assuming you interpreted my jumble of words correctly) would probably require cutting the body into sections though, so not sure how that would work.

Would something like this be possible?

More
2 days 19 hours ago #3651 by Kelemelan
Not that I know what I'm talking about but something tells me that this would be akin to an ePic Season 3... ;) :P

Welcome Aboard J, btw ^^

More
2 days 19 hours ago #3652 by LBandy
We already have options to make parts of the body transparent (take a look at the supernatural packs), and it's just a matter of how the config is set up, so the transparency can be applied on other layers too. Keep in mind that the software in it's current version is just layers of images on top of each other, it doesn't have any information on 3D meshes or textures. If you want to experiment with your ideas you could grab the developer pack and see what you can do, I'm happy to help you getting started as well as how this can be achieved by the current config system, given I understand your idea correctly. I'd be interested to see if variable poses can really be achieved in any other way than simply rendering the characters and all the items from all possible angles, which is obviously not really an option. :)

Copyright 2013-2017 Overhead Games | Contact: support@epicgenerator.net | Privacy Policy | EULA