fbpx

Topic-icon Fasold's Characters

More
2 years 9 months ago #2900 by Kelemelan
Kelemelan replied the topic: Fasold's Characters
There's a modern trend of GM-less "RPGs". Guess they could be soloed.

These look like boardgames on steroids to me, not exactly RPGs but let's just say I'm too old for that stuff. ;) ^_^

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2901 by caenissnow
caenissnow replied the topic: Fasold's Characters
Ah... 'too old'.... Yeah, I know that feeling. :D

More
2 years 9 months ago #2902 by kalnaren
kalnaren replied the topic: Fasold's Characters
You can absolutely play traditional RPGs without a GM.

It requires an open mind and logical interpretation.

Here's a blog I started documenting my solo adventure:

mythicpathfinder.blogspot.ca/?m=1

More
2 years 9 months ago - 2 years 9 months ago #2903 by Kelemelan
Let's just say I can't agree on that one since to me, I can't **roleplay** if I'm solo. I can't fall in love with err... who ? or die for causes who are just myself... to me it's not roleplaying, it's just, at best, daydreaming. And if it's only about the tactical thinking, well, it's even less about the roleplaying part which is exactly what I'm talking about. :)

I need to be able to go off script any time, and I need a GM for that, because It's not because I do that, that I know what to expect, the unexpected is part of the fun too. :) So, someone else's perspective is not an option.

That's what makes the game feel alive.
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Kelemelan.

More
2 years 9 months ago #2904 by kalnaren
kalnaren replied the topic: Fasold's Characters
Well, that's the thing... In the example I provided above, there was no script.

Before I began I established exactly 3 things: My character, the starting town, and the first adventure hook (caravan guard). That's it. No other details about the adventure or events. I had no idea Higgs was going to encounter other mercs, a huge band of baddies, or if he was going to find the caravan as soon as he left town or not at all.

The entire thing was "off script", and 100% roleplaying as it relies on logical interpretation of the events around you as they unfold. If you can't imagine your character there, in that location, encountering those people or places, Mythic GME will nit work.

It really is a wonderful tool. I've also used it for 3 player games without a GM, and it works even better with more people. :)

More
2 years 9 months ago #2905 by Kelemelan
Point is you're saying "logical interpretation" and I'm reading "you're talking to yourself".

What I find fun is when a GM is surprising me by doing stuff completely out there like dead serious cop campaign à la Hill Street Blues and dimensional travels, this happened irl but if you want it to be controlled you do need someone to set limits.

Now maybe you're talking about RPGs as single shot or short term games. Then well, I can understand that players wanna try whatever tool they have at hand but in the long run for years long campaign, I have little faith in these.

I mean, there's "off script" and "off script" when talking to a supers GM like me, if you get my drift. And when I play "logically", I'm following "my" logic, not the rule's or the game's because that's what's fun to me. Where there are other players I'm going for a common ground, but since RPGs are about fun, as a starting point, I've no issue with flying pigs if you get the idea. ;P

It's about the middle ground between me and the GM (or me and the players). I really need a GM. ;)

Copyright 2013-2019 Overhead Games | Contact: support@epicgenerator.net | Privacy Policy | EULA

We use cookies to improve the user experience. By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies.