Topic-icon Fasold's Characters

More
1 year 11 months ago #2924 by Kelemelan
Kelemelan replied the topic: Fasold's Characters
Like I said, computer games strong point is precisely that you have something on screen. RPGs on the other hand grant an absolute freedom (within the limits set by the players themselves, sure) but everything takes place in the mind except some visual support. I believe that sums it up. :)

So, yes, and no. I can't see... a picture, but I can see what I actually expect to see, except what I'm seeing stays in my mind. That's all. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2925 by Kelemelan
If I'm describing a beautiful shining steel unicorn with green eyes like beacons burning through the city's misty night, I'm seeing it, standing in front of a skyscraper. But such illos are not necessarily easy to find. ;)

And where RPGs are involved and since anything is possible... like I said, I may really need flying pigs illos...err... in a star trek cruiser. ;P

Edit: ...so for stuff like that, no illo, just feels better. :)
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Kelemelan.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2926 by Fasoldgames
Fasoldgames replied the topic: Fasold's Characters
Perhaps a bit off topic, but I had a conversation some time ago with my brother, about programming. In a computer game, you code in HTML or any other language, to make the computer display pictures on screen, play sounds, etc.

And what is writing if not coding for the brain? :)

You write words that are interpreted by the brain of the reader and images and perhaps even sounds are generated, by the all powerful brain computer. In a sense, I think programming and writing are similar.
And perhaps a good computer RPG and a solid pen & paper RPG are therefore not so different?

In essence, good storytelling is about 'the suspension of disbelief' I think it is called. And any good story basically adheres to that. Logic, believability. And flying pigs in a Star Trek cruiser? I think that kind of ruins any kind of immersion....but that's my opinion of course.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Fasoldgames.

More
1 year 11 months ago #2927 by Kelemelan
Sure, Fasold, but Gamemastering and creating the RPG are two different things. :)

What you're talking about is for the game designer, not for the gamemaster. :)

And just put a Q onboard a Star Trek cruiser, and flying pigs are not an issue, btw. ;) This is just a way to explain flying pigs. But there are endless ways out of this. The star trek universe is ripe with cosmic entities or aliens ready to wreck havoc with a starship's crew. Without ruining the believability of the setting at all. Star Trek isn't Star Wars. :)

More
1 year 11 months ago #2928 by Kelemelan
Crap, sorry, I meant **PnP** game designer, of course.

More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #2929 by caenissnow
caenissnow replied the topic: Fasold's Characters

Fasoldgames wrote: Perhaps a bit off topic, but I had a conversation some time ago with my brother, about programming. In a computer game, you code in HTML or any other language, to make the computer display pictures on screen, play sounds, etc.

And what is writing if not coding for the brain? :)

You write words that are interpreted by the brain of the reader and images and perhaps even sounds are generated, by the all powerful brain computer. In a sense, I think programming and writing are similar.
And perhaps a good computer RPG and a solid pen & paper RPG are therefore not so different?

In essence, good storytelling is about 'the suspension of disbelief' I think it is called. And any good story basically adheres to that. Logic, believability. And flying pigs in a Star Trek cruiser? I think that kind of ruins any kind of immersion....but that's my opinion of course.

Yep. I agree. I was just asking about PnP solo play and BOOM. :D

I play games just for fun, but writing is something i HAVE to do, if that makes sense.

Been writing a chase scene all day... horses, snow, a race to the border... If they can't stop them, there'll be war. Of course, I get to fling things in their path and I know, there's nothing they can do to stop it. It's so fun to be evil. :)
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by caenissnow. Reason: (Forgot to add the quote.)

Copyright 2013-2018 Overhead Games | Contact: support@epicgenerator.net | Privacy Policy | EULA

We use cookies to improve the user experience. By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies.